Home > For New Homebuyers
For New Homebuyers
Important Note: In the current lending environment, some lenders are finding it difficult to lend on campus properties. If your property is leased, you are advised to discuss this with your lender prior to spending time and money securing financing. Wells Fargo has notified Stanford that at this time, it is not able to offer loans on Stanford leasehold properties or in conjunction with shared appreciation loans from Stanford.
Living in the Bay Area
Stanford's location in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area makes
it an ideal place to live, work and enjoy life. This beautiful and cosmopolitan
area offers the best of everything -- stunning beaches, mountain hiking, urban
adventures, and cultural attractions. Please click on the underlined heading for links to information about the Bay Area.
Housing programs may be used for the purchase
of property within a particular geographic area, shown on the map.
Effective immediately and until
further notice, only Academic Council faculty are eligible to purchase homes on the campus. This change does
not reduce eligibility for other housing programs.
Stanford University's housing programs are available to a
specific and limited number of employment
categories. Click on the underlined heading for more information. Click here for information on Clinician Educator housing programs.
Overview of Purchase Programs
Here is an outline of the process for buying a home using Stanford's programs.
- Insurance Requirements -
New homebuyers who use Stanford’s loan programs are required
to maintain insurance on their homes during the term of their loans.
The University’s insurance requirements are explained here. Many borrowers
have questions regarding earthquake insurance. Information regarding earthquake
insurance and shopping for earthquake insurance
Borrowers must furnish evidence of insurance to FSH as requested
- Homes For Sale and Rent List - Listing of campus homes for sale and rent.
- Purchase Contract Documents - Purchases on-campus require the use of these documents.
- Insurance Requirements -
On-Campus homeowners are required to maintain insurance on their homes during the term of the lease.
The University’s insurance requirements are explained here.
Earthquake insurance may also be required.
Information regarding earthquake insurance and shopping for earthquake insurance is here:
Earthquake Insurance. Borrowers must furnish evidence
of insurance to FSH as requested.
- Utilities - List of utility providers for on-campus homes.
- Residential Ground Lease
Brochure - This document provides information regarding the terms and conditions
of an on-campus leasehold.
- On-Campus Disclosures -
This document contains a list of factors to consider when looking for properties
to purchase on-campus.
- Future Housing
Sites - This map of future housing sites is from the 2000 General Use
- Realignment of Campus Drive - As outlined in the 2000 Stanford Community Plan, work is progressing on the site and concept plans for the realignment of Campus Drive at Mayfield Avenue. Additional information can be obtained by contacting Cathy Blake, Associate Director, Stanford University Architect/Campus Planning and Design Office, 650.723.3441.
- SCRA - Join the Stanford Campus Recreation Association, a community athletic club.
- On-Campus Sales Statistics - Number of sales by academic year and the most recent annual high and low prices.
- Campus Housing Sales - History of recent campus home sales.
- Faculty Staff Housing Fees -
Many services are provided free of charge. For the others, this schedule shows the current transaction fees.
Asked Questions For New Homebuyers
(top of page)
Nothing on this site or in the documents it contains should be construed
as an offer or commitment of any kind. Programs and eligibility requirements
can be changed or discontinued without notice.